Applications must be submitted to the following address by 5:00 p.m. on the established deadlines:University of Washington
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
ATTN: Undergraduate Advisor
1417 N.E. 42nd St.
Seattle, WA 98105-6246
Use the SPHSC Undergraduate Major Application template
|Entry Date||Application Deadline|
|Autumn 2019||April; 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter|
|Winter 2020||October; 3rd Monday of Autumn Quarter|
|Spring 2020*||January; 3rd Monday of Winter Quarter|
|Autumn 2020||April; 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter|
|Winter 2021*||October; 3rd Monday of Autumn Quarter|
|Autumn 2021||April; 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter|
|Autumn 2022||April; 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter|
|Autumn 2023||April; 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter|
Currently, the SPHSC Department accepts major applications for Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarter entry. We highly recommend that students apply for Autumn quarter entry. Acceptance in any quarter other than Autumn of Junior Year will likely delay graduation, due to the sequential nature of our classes.
*Effective academic year 2019-2020, only Autumn quarter applications will be accepted. Thus:
- Spring quarter 2020 will be the last Spring entry quarter for majors (applications are due January 2020)
- Winter quarter 2021 will be the last Winter entry quarter for majors (applications are due October 2020)
Use the SPHSC Transfer Student Application template.
|Entry Date||Application Deadline|
|Autumn 2019||February 15, 2019|
|Winter 2020||September 1, 2019|
|Autumn 2020||February 15, 2020|
|Winter 2021*||September 1, 2020|
|Autumn 2021||February 15, 2021|
|Autumn 2022||February 15, 2022|
|Autumn 2023||February 15, 2023|
Currently, the SPHSC Department accepts transfer student applications for both Autumn and Winter quarter entry. We highly recommend that transfer students apply for Autumn quarter entry. Acceptance in any quarter other than Autumn of Junior Year will likely delay graduation, due to the sequential nature of our classes.
*Effective 2021 and beyond, only Autumn quarter applications will be accepted. Thus, Winter quarter 2021 will be the last Winter entry quarter for transfer students (applications are due 9/1/2020).
All applicants are required to submit the following items by the established deadline. Please complete all the required components and staple them together before submitting:
- SPHSC application (all pages)
- Personal Statement
- College transcripts (photocopies and unofficial copies are acceptable)
Questions: refer all application questions to email@example.com
Admissions Committee Process
Admission to the major is capacity constrained. Meeting the criteria below guarantees consideration but not admission. The admissions committee evaluates each application by examining the strength of each component:
- Grade Point Average(s)
- Performance in the five out-of-department prerequisite courses
- Performance in any prior communication sciences and disorders or linguistics coursework, including any SPHSC Department courses
- Personal statement reflecting your interest and commitment to the field of speech, language, and hearing sciences
- Additional evidence of a commitment to becoming a Speech and Hearing Sciences major
UW student applicants will be notified via email as follows:
- Autumn quarter decisions will be communicated no later than the sixth week of Spring quarter
- Winter quarter decisions will be communicated no later than the sixth week of Autumn quarter
- Spring quarter decisions will be communicated no later than the sixth week of Winter quarter
Transfer student applicants will be notified via email as follows:
- Autumn quarter decisions will be communicated in April
- Winter quarter decisions will be communicated in November
Other Important Information
Double Degrees & Double Majors
If you are currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) major and you now want to major in Speech and Hearing Sciences, be aware that this is a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. Thus, if admitted to the SPHSC major, you will be pursuing a double degree (B.A. /B.S.), which requires a mandatory 225 credits total. This requirement cannot be waived.
If you are currently pursuing another B.S. major, and you are admitted to the Speech and Hearing Sciences major, the combination is considered a double major, requiring a minimum of 180 credits.
If you are currently a SENIOR
If you are thinking about starting, adding or switching to this degree and you are a Senior (in credits), your program of study at the UW will be extended by 6 quarters. There is no way to “fast track” our major. It takes two years—even if you have nothing but SPHSC courses to complete— because we only offer courses once a year. We are a very small department and courses must be taken in a certain sequence with certain prerequisites.
If you are currently a JUNIOR
Juniors starting the major in Winter quarter may be able to catch up and graduate on time if they enroll Summer quarter. Otherwise, any late starting Juniors should anticipate a delayed graduation. Juniors starting the major in Spring quarter should anticipate a delayed graduation; the major takes 6 quarters to complete and there is no way to catch up.
If you are currently a SOPHOMORE or FRESHMAN
You cannot apply to the major. We suggest you review the “Undergraduate FAQ” for suggested courses and activities to pursue while preparing for the major. Sophomores should plan to apply during Spring quarter for an Autumn quarter start in the major.