In order to apply to the undergraduate major, applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA)
To be considered for admission, applicants are required to have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5. Please note that competitive applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.0 (B) in the prerequisite undergraduate Speech and Hearing coursework with no single course graded less than 2.0 (C). It is highly recommended that all prerequisite coursework grades be at 2.5 or above.
Minimum Number of Credits
Students must have completed a minimum of 75 credits to apply to the major. If accepted, students must complete at least 90 credits by the quarter they enter the major.
In order to apply to the major, students must complete the introductory coursework outlined below. Please note that these courses are not only prerequisites for applying to the major, but a requirement of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for certification in speech-language pathology and audiology. Students intending to pursue professional graduate study must complete this coursework at the undergraduate level before applying to graduate programs. (More information on certification requirements can be found on the ASHA website).
Please note that courses cannot be in progress at the time of application; courses must be complete in order to apply (see note below)*. See the Undergraduate Advisor with any questions about these course requirements.
- Statistics Coursework
Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit college-level Statistics course. Students cannot use any remedial, historical, or methodological statistics courses to meet this requirement.
- Biological Science Coursework
Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit introductory course in human- or animal-based biological science, anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, or veterinary science course. Acceptable courses are at the 100-level or above and the course does not need a lab component.
- Social/Behavioral Science Coursework
Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit introductory course in the social and behavioral sciences. Acceptable courses are at the 100-level or above in the areas of Psychology, Educational Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Public Health.
- Physical Science Coursework
Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit introductory physical science course in either Physics or Chemistry. Acceptable courses are at the 100-level or above and the course does not need a lab component.
- Linguistics Coursework
Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit introductory linguistics course that provides knowledge of phonology, phonetics, morphology, syntax, and semantics.
Courses used to fulfill these out-of-department requirements must have the following attributes:
- They must be taken outside the Speech & Hearing Sciences department
- They must appear by name and number on the student’s official college transcript with a final grade
- They must be taken for a numeric grade
- Students must achieve a grade of at least 2.0
In lieu of specific courses, these requirements may also be satisfied by Advanced Placement credit or International Baccalaureate credit. However, students must have transcript record of these credits. CLEP or DSST examinations for credit are NOT accepted for these requirements.
- Anyone admitted through Winter 2021 will be allowed to apply with courses in progress and/or take required courses concurrently with major courses. For those entering with prerequisite deficits, the requirement will be completion of the courses during junior year. While there is flexibility in timing during junior year for the statistics and science coursework, the linguistics course must be taken in Autumn or Winter quarter of Junior year.
- Any transfer student with prerequisite course deficits will be permitted to apply to the major on an exception basis for two years.
- Starting with admission for Autumn 2021, UW students must have all prerequisite coursework completed prior to applying.
- Starting with admission for Autumn 2021, transfer students must have all prerequisite coursework completed prior to applying, with the exception of Linguistics. Transfer students may always apply to the major with Linguistics “in progress” or with it “planned” for their junior year. Linguistics is the only prerequisite exception for transfer students and if it is not completed prior to entering the major, it must be completed in either Autumn or Winter quarter of junior year.