All admitted, matriculated graduate students at the University of Washington are eligible for financial aid services. We encourage students to investigate sources of financial aid and submit financial aid applications as early as possible.

In general, departmental funding for new Au.D. students is somewhat limited. However, there are many avenues available to students for funding a graduate education. As you begin to make decisions about how to fund your studies, please review the following information and information we have posted on our web site. Please keep in mind that almost all funding is managed by the University of Washington and not the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHSC).

University of Washington Financial Aid

  1. The UW Financial Aid Office and web site should be the starting point for all graduate student questions and inquiries about aid.

    Office of Student Financial Aid
    University of Washington
    Box 355880, Seattle, WA 98195-5880
    Phone: (206) 543-6101

  2. The UW application for admissions is separate from the application for aid. To receive priority consideration for aid, all current and prospective students must complete the 2012-2013 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application by the appropriate deadline.
    • Be sure to list University of Washington-Seattle code #003798
    • If you’ve never filled out a FAFSA, please view the tutorial “7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA
    • Please note that if you wish to receive financial aid for Summer quarter, you must complete a separate Summer FAFSA. Applications are typically available in April of each year.
  3. University of Washington award notices are sent in the spring and continue through the summer. The initial award notification may be an estimate/preliminary award until a full review of the FAFSA information is done. The awards will be sent via email if a student supplied an email address or via mail if one was not provided.
  4. Once applicants have accepted an offer and set up a UW NetID and email account, they can check on the status of their financial aid at any time by logging into MyUW.
  5. During the fourth year of the Au.D. program, which is fee-based or self-sustaining, students need to be aware that certain types of state-based aid are not available. Fee-based programs do not receive funding from the Washington state legislature, and graduate students, therefore, cannot qualify for scholarships or aid that are available through the state of Washington or designated for state-funded programs. These include:
    • Tuition Exemption Program for Washington State employees
    • University of Washington Grant & Scholarship Programs, including:
      • University tuition waivers
      • Husky Promise program
      • Some Graduate Opportunities & Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) awards
      • Graduate Top Scholar Award

    All other types of aid are available to students during the fourth year of the program including:

    • Federal grants
    • State grants
    • Scholarships
    • Work Study
    • Loans

University of Washington WICHE / WRGP Program

The state of Washington has been a member of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) since 1955. WICHE is a 15-state commission working to improve access to higher education for students in the western region. The University of Washington’s Doctor of Audiology degree is part of WICHE’s Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) which makes this program available at a reasonable cost to students living in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah or Wyoming.

Applicants from any of these states who apply for the WRGP rate and are accepted into the Doctor of Audiology degree program, will be charged the UW’s resident tuition rate instead of the non-resident rate that out-of-state students normally pay. Please visit the WICHE / WRGP Tuition Rate section of our department’s website for complete details on eligibility and how to apply.

SPHSC Departmental Funding Opportunities

Within our department, the Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC) Dr. Kristie Spencer oversees all graduate student funding. The GPC is responsible for alerting students to available Scholarships, Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) or work study positions as they become available in our department.

  1. Student Assistantships – The University of Washington employees graduate students in various assistantship positions. There are three types: Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) and Staff Assistant (SA). Within our department, the GPC oversees all positions and the associated hiring process.

    For Au.D. students, however, the most common mechanism for funding in our department is as a TA. RA positions are fairly exclusive to students in our PhD program and our department does not typically have SA positions to award. TA positions – These positions are generally awarded to current Doctor of Audiology students who have demonstrated strong academic performance in the Au.D. program and who have already completed the course that is in need of a TA. The TA positions are awarded on a quarter-by-quarter basis depending on departmental needs. TA funding is a major source of support for the PhD program and the PhD students who are part of it. For that reason, PhD students will be considered to fill these positions first. When vacant TA slots remain, Au.D. students who wish to be considered for these appointments are invited to apply. All TA’s are expected to attend all required SPHSC departmental orientation and training sessions. Interested parties should contact GPC Dr. Truman Coggins. Some class examples include:

    • SPHSC 521 – Instrumentation for Audiology
    • SPHSC 570 – Assessment of Auditory Dysfunction I
    • SPHSC 571 – Assessment of Auditory Dysfunction II
    • SPHSC 572 – Pediatric Assessment
    • SPHSC 574 – Assessment of Balance Function
    • SPHSC 582 – Hearing Aid Amplification
    • SPHSC 583 – Hearing Aid Selection
    • SPHSC 586 – Cochlear Implants
    • SPHSC 592 – Electrophysiologic Assessment I
  2. Department Work Study – The other primary mechanism of Departmental funding of Au.D. students is the federally subsidized Work Study program. Qualified students can earn an hourly wage working in our department, often in SPHSC research labs. The work study hourly rate varies across campus and within our department, ranging from $15 - $32. The Office of Financial Aid will let you know if you qualify as long as you completed the FAFSA application. If you do qualify, contact Graduate Program Advisor, Ernie Lefler. If there is a specific Professor or research lab in which you are interested, you may also contact that individual directly once you start the graduate program, but not before.
  3. UW Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (LEND) ScholarshipsLEND scholarships are available Au.D. students who wish to work with individuals with neurodevelopmental disabilities and their families. These short-term traineeships are not typically awarded until a student is well established in the graduate program. Interested parties should contact Dr. Rich Folsom ( or Lisa Mancl (

UW Graduate School Funding Sources

The University of Washington Graduate School offers multiple resources for students seeking funding. The Graduate School will alert departments and students via email when additional opportunities arise.

  1. Graduate School Office of Fellowship and Awards - The Graduate School administers a variety of fellowships and staff is happy to talk to students about any fellowships of interest. Be aware that applying for fellowships takes some time, so you need to plan ahead. Many have deadlines 6-9 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Review the current Fellowships List.
  2. Grants and Funding Information Service (GFIS) - GFIS works with current and prospective UW graduate students to help identify and use different resources to locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, and conference travel. To obtain information and assistance graduate students have several choices:
  3. Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) - GO-MAP is a unit within the Graduate School that administers funding for underrepresented minority students whose individual experiences and/or academic interests will bring diversity to scholarly perspectives and endeavors and to the academic community. Students interested in a GO-MAP scholarship must coordinate a nomination through their department’s Graduate Program Coordinator. Interested students should first review the GO-MAP funding website.
  4. University Work Study - Graduate students who are eligible for work study can obtain positions inside or outside their home department and in on-campus and off-campus jobs. Students who qualify should review the information on the UW Work Study Website. Available work study positions can be found on the UW Work Study Position web site. The Work Study office is located at 520 Schmitz Hall (206-685-1985).
  5. Student Employment - There are some TA, RA and SA positions available to students in departments other than their home department. Some departments, for example, do not have graduate students and will recruit widely for positions from relevant degree programs across campus. Students can check the UW Employment site for these types of positions.
  6. Other Employment - The Center for Career Services has a website where employment opportunities are available for review. Visit the Find Jobs section of their website.

Outside Funding Sources Applicable to Speech and Hearing

There are a number of scholarships and resources available to graduate students from outside organizations. Below are several that past students have had success in obtaining. Some of these are coordinated by the UW Graduate School Fellowships and Awards office, and some have no connection to the University.

  1. American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation)
  2. ASHA Students Preparing for Academic and Research Careers (SPARC) Award
  3. Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) Leadership Scholarship
  4. American Academy of Audiology (AAA) Grants
  5. Audiology Foundation of America (AFA) - Outstanding Au.D. Student Scholarship and Starkey Scholarship
  6. Washington State Academy of Audiology (WSAA)
  7. Educational Audiology Association (EAA)
  8. UW Retirement Association Fellowship (UWRA) Scholarship - for students with academic interests in aging-related issues or concerns.
  9. American Association of University Women (AAUW)
  10. Service to Mankind (SERTOMA) Communicative Disorders Scholarship
  11. Tylenol Scholarship - for those planning to work in medical settings.