While there are no coursework prerequisites to apply to the SPHSC major, we do require students to address most of the following “introductory” requirements in advance of entering the major.
- University of Washington baccalaureate degree requirements. All students should fulfill the UW College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirements, which include requirements related to scholarship, total credits, and general education coursework. It is expected that students will have completed a minimum of 75 credits before entering the major, addressing the UW’s general education coursework requirements.
- Out-of-department coursework requirements. All SPHSC majors are required to complete specific coursework outside the SPHSC department. See the Undergraduate Advisor for the approved list of courses.
- Statistics Coursework Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit college-level Statistics course. Students cannot use any remedial, historical, or methodological statistics courses to meet this requirement (e.g., STAT 111). We recommend STAT 220 or EDPSY 490.
- Biological Science Coursework Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit human- or animal-based biological science, anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, or veterinary science course. The course does not need a lab component. We recommend BIOL118, Survey of Anatomy & Physiology, or any introductory course in human or animal science.
- Social/Behavioral Science Coursework Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit course in the social and behavioral sciences. Acceptable courses are at the 100-level or above in the areas of Psychology, Educational Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Public Health.
- Physical Science Coursework Students must complete at least one 3 - 5 credit physical science course in either Physics or Chemistry. The course does not need a lab component. Acceptable courses are at the 100-level or above.
Courses used to fulfill these out-of-department requirements must have the following attributes:
- They must be taken outside the Speech & Hearing Sciences department
- They must appear by name and number on your official college transcript with a final grade
- They must be taken for a numerical grade
- NOTE: Students must also maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all courses required for the major, which includes these out-of-department courses
In lieu of specific courses, these requirements may also be satisfied by Advanced Placement credit or International Baccalaureate credit. However, students must have transcript record of these credits. CLEP or DSST examinations for credit are NOT accepted for these requirements.
Core Major Coursework
All students must successfully complete the following set of Core Speech & Hearing Sciences courses (28 credits) once admitted into the major. These courses are typically taken during the first three quarters of junior year. Student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in the Core courses in order to continue with the major into Option 1, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in the Core Courses in order to continue with the major into Option 2. For more information see SPHSC Major Options.
Visit the UW Course Catalog for additional course details.
|Course #||Course Name||Quarter Offered||Credits|
|SPHSC 303||Language Science*||Autumn quarter||3 credits|
|SPHSC 371||Hearing Disorders||Autumn quarter||3 credits|
|SPHSC 261||The Nature of Sound||Winter quarter||4 credits|
|SPHSC 302||Phonetics||Winter quarter||3 credits|
|SPHSC 304||Developmental Aspects of Communication||Spring quarter||5 credits|
|SPHSC 320||Anatomy and Physiology of Speech||Spring quarter||5 credits|
|SPHSC 461||Introduction to Hearing Science||Spring quarter||5 credits|
*Students may substitute LING 200, 203, or 400 for SPHSC 303. We do not recommend students take SPHSC 303 to fulfill department requirements if they have already taken LING 400 and earned a strong grade.