Potential applicants must apply to the Honors Program in Spring quarter of their Junior year. The first week of Spring quarter is “Honors Applicant Interview Week”. SPHSC faculty make themselves available to students interested in discussing a potential Honors Program project. A directory of department faculty, their research areas, and links to their research lab web pages is available on the department website here.
During Spring quarter, all applicants will:
- Identify and arrange interviews with prospective faculty mentors, during the first week of Spring quarter, to discuss research areas of interest and the possibility of working together on an honors project.
- Provide an application packet to each prospective faculty mentor with whom they interview. The application packets must include:
- The SPHSC Honors Program Application
- A personal statement of 500 words describing the applicant’s interest in Speech and Hearing Sciences and the Honors Program, career goals, and research areas of interest
- Two writing samples (in English) one of which must be from an SPHSC (or related) course
- An unofficial UW Transcript
- In addition, if an application has a cumulative GPA lower than 3.5, he/she must also include a separate personal statement/petition requesting an exception.
- After the interviews, students will email the Undergraduate Advisor with the names of their first, second, and third choices of faculty mentor. (Faculty members will also email the Undergraduate Advisor of their first, second, and third choices of mentee).