Do I really need to have an undergraduate degree or coursework in Speech and Hearing Sciences or Communication Disorders to apply?

Yes! As an accredited graduate program, the Master of Science degree program curriculum adheres to the standards and guidelines set by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association’s (ASHA) Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. ASHA has specific undergraduate coursework requirements that are a prerequisite to graduate study and clinical certification. In order to be eligible for graduate study, all applicants must have one of the following:

1) Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited institution with a major in Speech and Hearing Sciences, Communication Disorders, Communication Sciences and Disorders or a similarly named major


2) An undergraduate degree in another major (from a regionally accredited institution), with sufficient undergraduate coursework in Speech and Hearing Sciences, Communication Disorders, Communication Sciences and Disorders or a similarly named program that encompasses the following areas of knowledge:

  • Linguistics
  • Phonetics / Language Science
  • Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech Mechanism
  • Speech & Language Acquisition / Development
  • Speech & Language Disorders
  • Hearing Science / Nature of Sound
  • The Hearing Mechanism
  • Hearing Disorders
  • Audiometry
  • Aural Rehabilitation / Management of Hearing Loss
  • Social-Cultural Aspects of Communication
  • Principles of Assessment
  • Principles of Treatment

We cannot accept applications from individuals with undergraduate or graduate degrees outside the field of Speech and Hearing Science (e.g., Linguistics, Education, Psychology) who do not have the prerequisite speech and hearing sciences coursework.

Can I apply to the Core Speech-Language Pathology, the Medical Speech-Language Pathology, and the Educational Speech-Language Pathology master’s degree programs?

Students may apply separately to the Educational Speech-Language Pathology Master's program, the Medical Speech-Language Pathology Master's program, the Core Speech-Language Pathology Master’s program or any combination. Students applying to multiple programs will pay multiple pay multiple $85 application fees.

Can all or some of the M.S. program be completed remotely or online?

No. The M.S. degree program is an in-person (residential) graduate program and not approved or certified for distance-learning. Classes are held on the UW Seattle Campus and clinical education occurs in UW clinical facilities, as well as community-based facilities in Seattle and its surrounding area. While some courses may include hybrid instructional elements and students will learn to provide services via a telehealth platform and simulation, the majority of classroom and clinical courses are held in person. Students in all tracks of the M.S. program are required to be physically present for this degree program.

Do you accept transfer students from other master’s programs?

No. We do not accept transfer students into any of our Master of Science programs (Medical Speech-Language Pathology, Educational Speech-Language Pathology or Core Speech-Language Pathology)

Can I transfer between the Core Speech-Language Pathology program, the Medical Speech-Language Pathology program, and the Educational Speech-Language Pathology program once accepted?

No. Students are accepted into only one program. The curriculum and practica are uniquely designed to support each specific degree program and cannot accommodate student transfers.

If admitted, may I defer entrance to the program?

No. Planning for your program begins immediately upon admission. On-campus and off-site clinical experiences are arranged annually. If you are admitted, then choose not to enter the program, the strength of your re-application in subsequent years is considered within the pool of applicants at that time.

How many students are admitted to the Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program?

20–26 students are admitted each year.

Are there minimum GPA and/or GRE scores required for admission to the Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program?

A minimum GPA of 3.0 during the last 90 quarter credit hours of study (60 semester hours) is required. There are no GRE score requirements. We consider all applicant credentials and information during the application process. High GPAs and GRE scores are desirable, but are not the controlling factors in admission. Please review our Student Outcomes Data for details about average GPA and GRE scores for our admitted students.

Does the 4500 character limit for the personal statement include spaces?

No, but we appreciate brevity.

If I accept an offer of admission what happens next?

All new students receive a welcome letter from the Department with instructions on how to prepare for the graduate program. Students will access the dedicated section of our website for New Graduate Students which provides specific instructions, forms, and checklists to new students, and will communicate with their assigned Graduate Program Advisor about preparation for graduate school.

Is there a different tuition rate for out-of-state students?

No. The tuition, or instructional fee, for the Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program is the same for all students regardless of residency status. Additionally, the tuition is set at a flat rate for each quarter of the academic year. Students pay a flat fee versus a per credit fee.

How can I learn more about applying for and receiving financial aid at the University of Washington?

Prospective students who want to learn more about loans, work study, grants, and scholarships should carefully read the information on the University of Washington Office of Student Financial Aid website.

To apply for a Federal Stafford Direct Loan, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at or on paper and submit it to the address included on the application. If you are offered admission to the graduate program and your FAFSA is approved, the University of Washington will send you a financial aid eligibility letter and a promissory note asking how much you wish to borrow. You will need the University of Washington’s federal financial aid code for the FAFSA: 003798.

If a student qualifies for UW Work Study, the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences makes every effort to employ the student within the Department, including its laboratories. Work study positions are readily available throughout the UW campus, as well. Student should review all Work Study Program information on the Office of Student Financial Aid website.

Is other financial assistance available for MedSLP students through the Department?

The Department usually does not have financial assistance for master’s students; therefore no special application for aid is necessary. If teaching assistantships or research assistantships become available, we notify all graduate students and interested students may apply. A list of possible financial aid sources (from inside and outside the Department) is available in the Financial Assistance section of our website

Does enrolling in a fee-based program limit the types of financial aid I can receive?

Yes. Self-sustaining or fee-based degrees, like the MedSLP program, do not receive funding from the Washington state legislature. Student tuition and fees wholly fund these types of programs. As a result, students cannot qualify for scholarships or aid that are available through the state of Washington or designated for state-funded programs. These types of aid include:

  • Tuition Exemption Program for Washington State employees
  • University of Washington Grant & Scholarship Programs, including:
    • University tuition waivers (including WICHE)
    • Graduate Top Scholar Award
    • Husky Promise program
    • Some Graduate Opportunities & Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) awards
Are MedSLP students eligible for WICHE/WRGP tuition waivers like CoreSLP students?

No. The state of Washington is part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), which offers residency tuition waivers to students from 14 western states. However, this type of tuition waiver is state-based aid and therefore, not available to students in the fee-based MedSLP program.

What makes the Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program unique?
  1. Specialized coursework in the area of Medical Speech-Language Pathology for students planning to practice in hospitals or rehabilitation settings, above and beyond the general graduate curriculum required of all ASHA-accredited programs.
    • 545 Assessment & Treatment of Voice Disorders in Medical Settings
    • 546 Advanced Neurological Language Disorders
    • 543 Assessment & Treatment of Pediatric Dysphagia
    • 507 Evidence-Based Practice
    • 548 Traumatic Brain Injury Seminar
    • 541 AAC: Medical Settings
    • 549 Clinical Forum in Speech-Language Pathology
  2. Advanced coursework emphasizing evidence-based practice and the evaluation and treatment of disorders within a medical management framework.
  3. Multiple community-based clinical practicum experiences across the continuum of care, including a culminating full-time internship.
  4. Support from faculty in preparing for the Clinical Fellowship professional experience, including the employment search, interview process and understanding state licensure requirements.
How are the Medical Speech-Language Pathology, Core Speech-Language Pathology programs, and Educational Speech-Language Pathology programs different? How are they similar?

See our side by side comparison chart of a review of the curricular focus, clincal experiences, and more for the three program options!

How long does it take to complete the program?

The Medical Speech-Language Pathology and Core Speech-Language Pathology programs takes 2 years or 8 quarters to complete if students adhere to the program plan as designed. The Educational Speech-Lanugage Pathology program takes 7 quarters to complete. 

Can I complete my graduate program in less than 8 quarters?

A minimum of 8 quarters are necessary in order to complete the didactic and clinical requirements of the Medical Speech-Language Pathology and Core Speech-Language Pathology program. The Educational Speech-Lanugage Pathology program is designed to be completed in 7 quarters.

Are any of your graduate courses or programs offered online?

No. We currently do not offer any online degrees or courses at the graduate level.

What are the academic performance expectations for the graduate program?

Students must:

  1. Maintain satisfactory scholarship with a cumulative and quarterly GPA of 3.0 or greater while in the program.
  2. Demonstrate satisfactory progress by obtaining at least a 2.7 or “credit” in all their didactic and clinical courses. If a student receives a grade below 2.7 he/she must retake the course. Students should be aware that retaking a course(s) can delay subsequent coursework and/or planned practica, and may extend time in the program.
  3. Demonstrate (with or without accommodations) the essential behaviors and abilities outlined in the “Essential Requirements of Speech and Hearing Science Education”.
When are classes offered?

Typically courses are offered between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Many classes are scheduled between 8:30-10:30 and 12:00-2:30 during the week. The faculty provides students with didactic and clinical schedules on a quarterly basis, and the official curriculum is available quarterly on the UW Time Schedule. Ultimately, though, all classes are scheduled around the needs of clinical practicum and placements. Prospective students should be aware, however, that some required courses may be offered during evening hours (e.g., 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.). In addition, classes may occasionally meet on Saturdays. The graduate program is also in session every quarter, including Summer quarter, and students will have required Summer classes.

Are Summer quarter classes required?

Absolutely. The Master of Sciense degree programs are in session every quarter, including Summer quarter. Breaks in your program greatly complicate your plan of study and counters the careful planning that has gone into matching your classroom experiences with your clinical training.

When is the Master’s degree conferred?

The degree is conferred (a) after the successful completion of all didactic and practicum requirements, and (b) upon successful completion of the Master’s thesis requirements where applicable.

Do I get to choose where I complete my off-site practicum placements?

No. Off-site practicum placements are assigned by the Speech-Language Pathology Fieldwork Coordinators, and every student will be assigned to a variety of clinical experiences and facilities to meet ASHA and program requirements. Due to the large number of placements, individual preferences and requests cannot be accommodated. However, student skills, performance and interests are certainly considered when making assignments.

Do I get to choose my summer internship site?

No, but student interests and input are integrated into the decision-making process. Designated faculty members work to match student interests with the best available community site and clinical supervisor. Assignments are ultimately made by the internship/Fieldwork Coordinator and are guided by the interest area chosen by the student. In addition, depending on the number of students—from our graduate programs and others—interested in a particular site, students may be required to interview for an internship.

What types of facilities/settings are available for internships?

Internships can be completed in inpatient and outpatient hospital settings, skilled nursing/assisted living facilities, outpatient clinics and private practices. We do not offer school-based internships to Medical Speech-Language Pathology graduate students. Students in the Medical Speech-Language Pathology program receive priority for scheduling acute care and inpatient rehab internships.

Do I need to provide my own transportation to off-site practicum placements?

Yes. When not in the UW Speech & Hearing Clinic, students are expected to provide their own transportation to and from all assigned practicum placements (second year). Many, but not all, facilities are served by public transportation. In other words, there is a high probability that you will need to drive to multiple sites. For those students without cars, the UW offers a Zipcar option with discounts to UPASS holders.

Will I have to work on weekends during my off-site practicum placements?

Possibly. Many of our affiliated sites provide speech–language pathology services seven days a week. Subsequently, students may be placed at facilities that will require weekend attendance due to supervisor or site availability.

Are there research opportunities for Medical Speech-Language Pathology and Educational Speech-Language Pathology students, such as completing a master’s thesis?

Yes. All interested graduate students can interview with faculty during their first year in the program for the opportunity to complete a master’s thesis.

What if I don’t want to complete a master’s thesis? Are there other types of research opportunities for MedSLP and EdSLP students available?

Yes. Students interested in smaller scale research can complete one or more independent studies with faculty on topics of interest, or obtain positions working or volunteering in faculty research labs.

Is the Clinical Fellowship process included in the Master of Sciences degree program?

No. As with other two-year graduate programs, students find their own Clinical Fellowship upon completion of their master’s degree.

Will I be able to get a job when I graduate?

Although no one can predict economic conditions, many demographic factors indicate that employment opportunities for Speech-Language Pathologists will continue to be plentiful. Please review our M.S. Program Statistics page for data about our students' specific post-graduation employment. For more detailed information about SLP employment, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010–11 Edition, Speech-Language Pathologists.

What is life in Seattle like?

The Pacific Northwest is often described as the best of all worlds. Our climate is mild. Because we are located on the beautiful Puget Sound, but close to the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges, you can be sea kayaking on Saturday and cross-country skiing on Sunday. Year-round hiking and world famous ski resorts are within easy reach of Seattle. Miles of bike paths, incredible on-campus sports and workout facilities, and the vibrant, energetic Seattle culture make the University of Washington a perfect place to study and live. The greater metropolitan area offers the full range of cultural and recreational opportunities you would expect, from the world-class Seattle Symphony to professional sports. Seattle is the home of the Seahawks, the Mariners, the Storm, and the Sounders as well as a friendly culture of community sports leagues. Clean air, a pervasive international flavor, and the warmth of the Pacific Northwesterner are all big draws.