All admitted, matriculated graduate students at the University of Washington are eligible for financial aid services. We encourage students to investigate sources of financial aid and submit financial aid applications as early as possible.

In general, departmental funding for new Master’s students is somewhat limited. However, there are many avenues available to students for funding a graduate education. As you begin to make decisions about how to fund your studies, please review the following information.

University of Washington Financial Aid

  1. The UW Financial Aid Office and web site should be the starting point for all graduate student questions and inquiries about aid.

    Office of Student Financial Aid
    University of Washington
    Box 355880, Seattle, WA 98195-5880
    Phone: (206) 543-6101

  2. The UW application for admissions is separate from the application for aid. To receive priority consideration for aid, all current and prospective students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application by the appropriate deadline.
    • Be sure to list University of Washington-Seattle code #003798
    • Learn more about the FAFSA at UW Financial Aid. Please note that if you wish to receive financial aid for Summer quarter, you must complete a separate Summer FAFSA. Applications are typically available in April of each year.
  3. University of Washington award notices are sent in the spring and continue through the summer. The initial award notification may be an estimate/preliminary award until a full review of the FAFSA information is done. The awards will be sent via email if a student supplied an email address or via mail if one was not provided.
  4. Once applicants have accepted an offer and set up a UW NetID and email account, they can check on the status of their financial aid at any time by logging into MyUW.
  5. As self-sustaining degree programs, the Medical and Educational Speech-Language Pathology programs do not receive funding from the Washington state legislature, and graduate students, therefore, cannot qualify for scholarships or aid that are available through the state of Washington or designated for state-funded programs. These include:
    • Tuition Exemption Program for Washington State employees
    • University of Washington Grant & Scholarship Programs, including:
      • University tuition waivers
      • Husky Promise program
      • Some Graduate Student Equity & Excellence (GSEE) awards
      • Graduate Top Scholar Award

    All other types of aid are available to fee based students including:

    • Federal grants
    • State grants
    • Scholarships
    • Work Study
    • Loans

SPHSC Departmental Funding Opportunities

Within our department, the Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC) Dr. Kristie Spencer oversees all graduate student funding. The GPC is responsible for alerting students to available Scholarships, Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) or work study positions as they become available in our department.

  1. Recruitment Scholarships – Each year, SPHSC offers several recruitment scholarships to new Master’s students. Recruitment Scholarships are awarded by the Graduate Admissions Committee and all students accepted into the Master’s of Science program are considered for this funding. No additional application is needed. These are competitive awards based on the strength of an individual’s academic record and their graduate application. The financial amounts vary year to year and are applied towards a student’s first 3 quarters of graduate tuition. If you have specific questions about these awards, please contact a SLP Selection Committee Co-Chair, Dr. Kristie Spencer (Med SLP) or Julie Dalessio (Ed SLP)

Awards we typically grant for the MedSLP program:

  • MedSLP recruitment awards ranging from $1,000 to $10,000
  • Opal Hicks Graduate Scholarship ranging from $3,000 - $6,000
  • Palmer Scholarship - $1,000

Awards we typically grant for the EdSLP program:

  • Scottish Rite Foundation Scholarships (two $6,000 awards)
  • Resident tuition scholarships for out-of-state students
  • CASE Scholars traineeship (separate application needed; ends 2023-2024)
  1. Work Study – One mechanism of funding for new Master’s students is through the federally subsidized Work Study program. Qualified students can earn an hourly wage working in our department or elsewhere on campus, sometimes in SPHSC research labs. The work study hourly rate varies across campus and within our department, ranging from $15 - $32. The Office of Financial Aid will let you know if you qualify as long as you completed the FAFSA application. If you do qualify, contact student services
  2. Student Assistantships –The University of Washington employs graduate students in various assistantship positions. There are three types: Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) and Staff Assistant (SA). Within our department, the GPC oversees all positions and the hiring process.

For Master’s level students, the most common assistantship in our department is a TA position. RA positions are fairly exclusive to students in our doctoral program and our department does not typically have SA positions to award.

TA positions – When available, these positions are generally awarded to second year Master’s students who have demonstrated strong academic performance in their program. First-year students may also be eligible for a TA position, typically in Spring or Summer quarters. The TA positions are awarded on a quarter-by-quarter basis depending on departmental needs.  Interested parties should contact our GPC Dr. Kristie Spencer.

  1. UW Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (LEND) ScholarshipsLEND scholarships are available to Master’s students who wish to work with individuals with neurodevelopmental disabilities and their families. These short-term traineeships are not typically awarded until a student is well established in the graduate program. Interested parties should contact Dr. John Thorne.

UW Graduate School Funding Sources

The University of Washington Graduate School offers multiple resources for students seeking funding. The Graduate School will alert departments and students via email when additional opportunities arise.

  1. Graduate School Office of Fellowship and Awards - The Graduate School administers a variety of fellowships and staff is happy to talk to students about any fellowships of interest. Be aware that applying for fellowships takes some time, so you need to plan ahead. Many have deadlines 6-9 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Review the current Fellowships List.
  2. Grants and Funding Information Service (GFIS) - GFIS works with current and prospective UW graduate students to help identify and use different resources to locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, and conference travel. To obtain information and assistance graduate students have several choices:
  3. Office of Graduate Student Equity & Excellence (GSEE) - GSEE is a unit within the Graduate School that administers funding for underrepresented minority students whose individual experiences and/or academic interests will bring diversity to the scholarly perspectives and endeavors and to the academic community. Students interested in a GSEE scholarship must coordinate a nomination through their department’s Graduate Program Coordinator. Interested students should first review the GSEE funding website. Please note that MedSLP and EdSLP students, as fee-based students, are ineligible for GSEE tuition waiver funding.
  4. University Work Study - Graduate students who are eligible for work study can obtain positions inside or outside their home department and in on-campus and off-campus jobs. Students who qualify should review the information on the UW Work Study Website. Available work study positions can be found on the UW Work Study Position web site. The Work Study office is located at 520 Schmitz Hall (206-685-1985).
  5. Student Employment - There are some TA, RA and SA positions available to students in departments other than their home department. Some departments, for example, do not have graduate students and will recruit widely for positions from relevant degree programs across campus. Students can check the UW Employment site for these types of positions.
  6. Other Employment - The UW Career & Internship Center has a website where employment opportunities are available for review. Visit the Find Jobs section of their website.

Outside Funding Sources Applicable to Speech and Hearing

There are a number of scholarships available to graduate students from outside organizations. Below are several that past students have had success in obtaining. Some of these are coordinated by the UW Graduate School Fellowships and Awards office, and some have no connection to the University.

  1. American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation)
  2. ASHA Students Preparing for Academic and Research Careers (SPARC) Award
  3. Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) Leadership Scholarship
  4. UW Retirement Association Fellowship (UWRA) Scholarship - for students with academic interests in aging-related issues or concerns.
  5. American Association of University Women (AAUW)
  6. Service to Mankind (SERTOMA) Communicative Disorders Scholarship
  7. AMBUCS Scholarships for Speech, Occupational and Physical Therapy
  8. Tylenol Scholarship - for those planning to work in medical settings.
  9. Speech Pathology Master's Programs - an external list of national and local scholarhips