Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Speech and Hearing Sciences

Undergraduate Major
Postbaccalaureate Program

The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHSC) at the University of Washington offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences through the College of Arts and Sciences. This academic program encompasses the study of normal and impaired human communication and swallowing across the life span, and the clinical methods and processes used to assess and treat disorders. By studying typical and atypical speech, language, hearing, and swallowing, students can develop the ability to think critically and humanely about our society, and gain insight into improving the quality of life for individuals affected by communication and swallowing impairments. In addition students will be prepared for:

  • paraprofessional employment in the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology
  • graduate-level study for:
    • clinical careers as speech-language pathologists (SLPs) or audiologists (AuDs)
    • research careers in the fields of speech, language or hearing science

The B.S. degree program is also appropriate for students with interests in other academic disciplines such as teaching, special education, psychology, linguistics, neuroscience, biology, or health care (i.e., medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, occupational or physical therapy, etc.).

The Speech and Hearing Sciences B.S. degree program is offered as:

  • A six quarter major for junior or senior UW undergraduates or transfer students
  • A four quarter post-baccalaureate program for students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree in another field and are seeking a second, SPHSC bachelor’s degree to qualify for graduate-level studies in speech-language pathology.

Speech and Hearing Sciences is NOT available as a minor. 

SPHSC students are responsible for ensuring that all University of Washington, College of Arts & Sciences, and SPHSC Department requirements are completed for the Speech and Hearing Sciences B.S. degree. Thus, all interested and accepted students are required to schedule an appointment with our Undergraduate Advisor and should use the Requirement Worksheet for planning and tracking purposes.