Eligibility Requirements for the SPHSC Major
Admission to the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences major is competitive. Eligible applicants are required to provide evidence of:
- Completion of a minimum of 75 credits
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50
Please note that demonstration of the minimum GPA guarantees consideration, but not always admission, to the major.
Additionally, competitive applicants to the SPHSC major should also provide a compelling personal statement which provides evidence of a commitment to entering the major (e.g., prior SPHSC coursework, relevant volunteer, research, or observation experience, relevant personal experience, etc.)
Timing Your Application
The Speech and Hearing Sciences major is completed over six quarters, typically beginning Autumn quarter of the student’s Junior year. The department only accepts applications to the major during Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. No applications are accepted during Summer quarter.
The department does not allow students to start the major any earlier than Autumn quarter of Junior year. While the department will accept applications from students during Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters of their Junior and Senior years, starting the major later than Autumn quarter of Junior year will extend your UW program of study.
Applications to the Speech and Hearing Sciences major are due the third Monday of the quarter preceding the quarter of desired admission. See the UW Academic Calendar for dates of instruction. Please note that applications for Autumn Quarter are accepted only in the Spring Quarter. No applications are accepted during Summer quarter.
- Autumn Quarter Start - the application deadline is the 3rd Monday of Spring Quarter
- Winter Quarter Start – the application deadline is the 3rd Monday of Autumn Quarter
- Spring Quarter Start – the application deadline is the 3rd Monday of Winter Quarter
All applicants are required to submit the following items by the established deadline. The SPHSC department will notify applicants of its decision via email within one month of the application deadline.
- A completed and signed SPHSC which includes the following sections:
- Contact information
- Academic background
- Please identify if you have already declared another major and what it is.
- If you are not currently in another major, please be sure to indicate your status as “pre-major”.
- If you will pursue a double degree or double major, please list that on the application (see “Other Information”). If you are unsure, you can leave it blank and decide later.
- Current GPA and credits
- List of prior SPHSC courses
- Personal Statement
- Please limit your personal statement to no more than 2 pages, double spaced with a 10-12 point font.
- We want to know your reasons for wanting to pursue this major, including courses and/or experiences that have influenced your decision to apply.
- College transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable)
Applications must be submitted to the following address by 5:00 p.m. on the established deadlines:
University of Washington
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
ATTN: Undergraduate Advisor
1417 N.E. 42nd St.
Seattle, WA 98105-6246
Other Important Information
Double Degrees & Double Majors
If you are currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) major and you now want to major in Speech and Hearing Sciences, be aware that this is a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. Thus, if admitted to the SPHSC major, you will be pursuing a double degree (B.A. /B.S.), which requires a mandatory 225 credits total. This requirement cannot be waived.
If you are currently pursuing another B.S. major, and you are admitted to the Speech and Hearing Sciences major, the combination is considered a double major, requiring a minimum of 180 credits.
If you are currently a SENIOR
If you are thinking about starting, adding or switching to this degree and you are a Senior (in credits), your program of study at the UW will be extended by 6 quarters.
- There is no way to “fast track” our major. It takes two years—even if you have nothing but SPHSC courses to complete— because we only offer courses once a year. We are a very small department and courses must be taken in a certain sequence with certain prerequisites.
If you are currently a JUNIOR
- If you missed the Spring quarter deadline during your Sophomore year for an Autumn quarter start, the earliest you can start the major is Winter quarter. As a Junior, you must apply by the 3rd Monday of Autumn quarter in order to start the major in Winter quarter; otherwise you will need to apply in Winter quarter for a Spring quarter start.
- Juniors starting the major in Winter quarter may be able to catch up and graduate on time if they enroll Summer quarter. Otherwise, any late starting Juniors should anticipate a delayed graduation.
If you are currently a SOPHOMORE or FRESHMAN
- You cannot apply to the major. We suggest you review the “Undergraduate FAQ” for suggested courses and activities to pursue while preparing for the major.
- Sophomores should plan to apply during Spring quarter for an Autumn quarter start in the major.