If you are considering employment in a state other than Washington, please visit ASHA’s state-by-state website to begin your research on individual state requirements for SLP employment. You should initiate your research as far in advance as possible to identify and evaluate individual state requirements, fees, and application procedures. It’s critical to first understand the credentialing requirements and costs in another state before accepting an offer of employment.

After Graduation - WA State Licensure Requirements

Non-School Employment Settings

Postgraduate Employment Requirements

  1. Postgraduate Professional Work Experience - The state of WA’s Department of Health (DOH) requires new SLP graduates to complete a 36 week full-time (or part-time equivalent) postgraduate professional work experience, under the supervision of licensed SLP professional.
  2. Clinical Fellowship - New M.S.-SLP graduates seeking ASHA certification must also complete a 36 week, full-time Clinical Fellowship (CF) experience (or its part-time equivalent) in order to receive their Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCCs) from ASHA.

Students can meet both requirements simultaneously in WA. See the DOH’s specific requirements below.

WA State Department of Health (DOH) Credentialing
Speech-Language Pathologist Licensure

Anyone who wishes to work in non-school settings must be credentialed by the DOH and obtain a license. New graduates looking to obtain a CF in a non-school setting will:

  1. Find an employer willing to hire/mentor an SLP Clinical Fellow
  2. Identify a WA state licensed and ASHA certified SLP who will officially mentor, supervise, and evaluate them according to the state’s and ASHA’s requirements.
  3. Apply for temporary credentials in WA under the name/license of their identified clinical mentor.

Qualified applicants for licensure in Speech-Language Pathology can anticipate two levels of licensure during their careers in non-school environments; 1) Interim Permit and 2) License.

  1. Interim Permit – all new graduates hired into postgraduate professional work experiences in non-school settings must first obtain an interim permit from the WA DOH in order to practice clinically. The interim permit period must consist of at least 36 weeks of full-time professional work experience or its part-time equivalent. Interim permits are effective for one year but may be extended upon request. To apply for the Interim Permit students must complete and provide:
    • The name and license # of the WA state licensed professional (and ASHA certified speech-language pathologist) who will supervise your postgraduate professional work experience. This person will also complete the “Professional Reference” and “Acknowledgement of Responsibility forms which are part of your DOH interim permit application.
    • Proof that you completed the required 4 hours of AIDS education and training.
    • Successful completion of the online Jurisprudence examination; an open book, multiple-choice exam on acts, laws, and regulations for the practice of speech-language pathology in Washington.
    • Official academic transcripts as proof that you completed all coursework for the Master’s/SLP degree. Transcripts must come directly from the UW and show the degree and date of conferral (no unofficial transcripts)
    • Payment of the application fee
    • A DOH Licensure Application form
  2. License – Once the 36 week postgraduate professional work experience is complete, SLP professionals can apply for permanent licensure in the state. The SLP license requirements are available on the WA State DOH website.
    Once a license (and ASHA CCCs) are granted, professionals must also meet both WA state’s and ASHA’s requirements for continuing education.

Both entities require a minimum of 30 hours of continuing education across a 3 year maintenance interval.

SPHSC Department / Program Verification Letters for DOH
SLP Interim Permit Facilitation

Each graduating MS student intending to work in a non-school setting will be given a “Program Verification Letter” by the SPHSC department at the end of their program. The letter will be distributed the Wednesday immediately following the last day of the quarter in which any student graduates. The letter attests that the student has completed all the didactic and clinical requirements for the Master of Science degree in speech-language pathology and confirms the degree conferral date.

The letter is a stop-gap measure for students who have secured employment and wish to immediately apply for an interim permit through the DOH, but do not yet have access to their final transcripts from the UW (official transcripts are not typically available until 2-3 weeks following graduation). With the Program Verification Letter, students with secured employment can initiate their interim permit application and then mail DOH their final transcripts once they become available.

Please note: Letters can only be provided once students have completed all their MS degree requirements and grades have been submitted and verified. Please do not request “early” letters, as we cannot provide them. If you secure employment prior to graduation, please realize you are ineligible to obtain an interim permit until you have completed your MS degree. Please be sure your employer knows this.