If you are considering employment in a state other than Washington, please visit ASHA’s state-by-state website or the Academy of Doctors of Audiology (ADA) state licensure website to begin your research on individual state requirements for Au.D employment. You should initiate your research as far in advance as possible to identify and evaluate individual state requirements, fees, and application procedures. It’s critical to first understand the credentialing requirements and costs in another state before accepting an offer of employment.

At a minimum, all fifty states require an audiology license for clinical practice. Please note that state regulations regarding credentialing vary across the U.S. and the type of required credential often depends on the setting in which you will work. For example, in addition to an audiology license, some states may also require a separate hearing aid dispenser license for employment.

After Graduation - WA State Licensure Requirements

Non-School Employment Settings

WA State Department of Health (DOH)

Audiology Licensure

Anyone who wishes to work in non-school settings as an audiologist, must be credentialed by the DOH and obtain a license. To view the Audiology license requirements, please visit the WA State DOH website.

To apply for licensure, applicants will complete and provide:

  1. A DOH Licensure Application
  2. Application fee
  3. Official academic transcripts as proof that you completed all coursework for the Au.D. degree. Transcripts must come directly from the UW and show the degree and date of conferral (no unofficial transcripts).
  4. Proof of a passing score on the national Praxis exam in Audiology (send ETS Praxis scores) OR verification from ASHA of the Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCC-A).
  5. Proof that you completed the required 4 hours of HIV/AIDS education and training. WAC 246.12.270
  6. Proof of a surety bond in the sum of $10,000 (obtained through employer or self). This bond must be specific to the state in which you will be licensed. There are a number of audiology surety bond agent options within each state. RCW 18.35.240
  7. The name and license # of the WA state licensed professional who will serve as your registered agent during your first year of licensure. This individual can be an employer or manager, attorney, or someone who will accept the responsibility of receiving legal documents should you not be available to accept them. RCW 18.35.230

Once a license is granted, professionals must renew it yearly and meet WA state requirements for continuing education. Washington requires a minimum of 30 hours of continuing education across a 3 year maintenance interval.

Important note:  Unlike speech-language pathology graduates, the state of Washington no longer requires Au.D. graduates to apply for interim licensure or complete a 36 week postgraduate professional work experience. Per a 2010 Washington Administrative Code (WAC) update, audiology licensure applicants who completed their Au.D. at an approved institution of higher education are considered to have met the postgraduate professional work experience requirement (because of the degree’s externship requirement). All graduates of the UW Au.D. program may apply directly for full licensure, and bypass the interim permit process.