Undergraduate majors with exceptional academic records have the opportunity to participate in the Speech & Hearing Sciences Department (SPHSC) Honors Program. The SPHSC Honors Program is a year-long experience for students who have demonstrated outstanding scholarly potential and who wish to further their studies in this field through independent research activities, under the mentorship of a faculty advisor.
During this experience, students complete at least six (6) Undergraduate Honors Research credits (SPHSC 498), write an Honors thesis, and present their research findings in the Spring at the Department's Honor’s Colloquium. Students also have the option of presenting their research findings at the UW&'s Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Those who successfully complete the SPHSC Honors Program receive a Bachelor of Science degree "With Honors in Speech and Hearing Sciences".
In order to apply, students must:
- Be a Junior SPHSC major
- Have least 3 quarters remaining in the undergraduate program (Autumn, Winter, Spring)
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5*
- An applicant presenting fewer than 30 UW credits should compute their cumulative GPA using total college credits (UW and transfer credits).
- Those with 30 or more UW credits may use the cumulative UW GPA as computed on grade reports or transcripts.
*Students may apply to the program, and attach a petition, if their cumulative GPA is less than 3.5 but their SPHSC GPA is 3.5 or higher.
In order to remain enrolled in the Honors Program, students must:
- Maintain a 3.3 cumulative GPA in all UW coursework
- Maintain a 3.5 quarterly GPA in all SPHSC coursework; this includes Spring quarter of Junior year.
Any student who falls below the quarterly GPA will be given one quarter to bring their GPA back into compliance, or they will be dropped from the program.
Additional Information & Instructions
All interested students should familiarize themselves with the following information located on the department Intranet.
- Honors Program Requirements
- Faculty Mentor Information
- Application Process
- Decision & Acceptance Process
All questions about the Honors Program should be directed to the Undergraduate Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.