The UW Speech and Hearing Clinic has created the UW Hearing Aid Assistance Program (HAAP) to provide refurbished hearing aids to those in financial need. The qualifications for assistance include current Medicaid status. Those individuals who qualify will be fit with appropriate behind the ear or receiver in the ear hearing aids from the HAAP bank by AuD graduate students under the direct supervision of licensed audiologist within the UW Speech and Hearing Clinic. Additionally, qualified applicants may be fit by community audiologists.
How Do Patients Qualify?
- Patients must demonstrate current Medicaid/WA Apple Health status.
- There are no hearing loss requirements for this program.
What are Patient Responsibilities?
- Complete and mail a one-page UW HAAP Application Form along with a copy (front and back) of insurance card to confirm Medicaid/Apple Health status.
- Obtain a complete hearing evaluation within 6 months of first visit (either from the University of Washington Speech and Hearing Clinic or other facility).
- Schedule an initial consultation and pay the deposit if hearing aids are ordered.
- Pay the professional fitting fee and earmold costs (if applicable) at the time of delivery of hearing aid(s).
What is the Cost to the Patient?
- Application Fee ($100 for one hearing aid; $200 for two hearing aids)
- Professional Fitting Fee. For hearing aids fit at the University of Washington Speech and Hearing Clinic, the fees are as follows:
- $150 (one hearing aid)
- $200 (two hearing aids)
- Earmold, if required ($75 each)
What is the Professional Fitting Fee?
The professional fitting fee covers:
- hearing aid fitting/evaluation
- counseling and instruction on the device(s)
- 1 post-fitting follow up (2-3 weeks after fitting)
- 1 six month follow up
What is the Total Cost?
- Total cost for 2 hearing aids with earmolds = $550.00
- Total cost for 1 hearing aid with earmold = $325.00
What Devices are Available through UW HAAP?
- Variety of refurbished behind-the-ear (BTE) or receiver-in-the-ear/canal (RITE/RIC) hearing aids.
- Repair warranty is included for one year. After 1 year, a charge would apply for any required repair.
How Do Audiologists Refer to the Program?
- UW HAAP Application Form may be provided by the referring audiologist to the patient at the time of referral.
- Direct patients to UW HAAP office with questions at 206-685-4267 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Can Community Audiologists Participate?
- Yes! Hearing aids may be fit by community audiologists. Hearing aid choices will be sent to the audiologists conducting the fitting and each clinic is responsible for establishing professional fitting and evaluation fees.
- Audiologists may also contribute by sending donated hearing aids to the UW HAAP Program.
Please note the UW HAAP office is staffed part-time by students. Please leave a detailed message and we will contact you within 48 hours.