Non-Degree Enrollment at the University of Washington (Seattle) allows anyone to register for a UW course and earn course credits without formal admission to the UW. However, since preference is given to matriculated students (students formally admitted to the university), Non-Degree Enrollment is on a standby, space-available basis and at the discretion of the specific department.

There are three types of non-degree enrollment available at the University of Washington:

  1. Visiting Graduate Student – offered in the SPHSC Department
  2. Non-Matriculated (NM) – offered in the SPHSC Department
  3. Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) – not available in the SPHSC Department

Please note that while some departments on campus allow for Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) course registration, the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences does not grant this status for any of its 4 graduate programs. We only offer Visiting Graduate Student enrollment and Non-Matriculated enrollment.

Visiting Graduate Students

Visiting Graduate Student status allows students who are actively pursuing a graduate degree at another college or university to take graduate courses at the UW and transfer a limited number of credits back to their home institution. 

The length of student enrollment is determined by the number of quarters approved by the home institution and the UW graduate program that admits the visiting graduate applicant. Students may hold visiting graduate status in only one graduate program at a time and may not hold any other student status while enrolled as a visiting graduate student.

Interested parties are required apply to the UW for admission as a Visiting Graduate Student and admissions is granted on a case-by-case basis. More information is located on the Visiting Graduate Students section of the UW Graduate School website. 

In the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences:

  • Visiting Graduate Student status is available for our 3 graduate programs (Ph.D., M.S.-SLP, M.S.-MedSLP)
  • Visiting students only have access to certain courses in the Speech and Hearing Department and they are unable to register for any graduate level clinical courses/practica. 
  • Visiting Graduate Students must apply for admission by the same deadline as all other graduate students for a given academic year. Late applications will not be considered. Applications are due as follows:
    • Master of Science Programs: January 15th
    • Doctor of Philosophy Program: February 15th
  • Application procedures:
  • Complete the online UW Graduate School Application
  • Submit a signed Certificate of Status Form
  • If accepted by the Department and Graduate School, Visiting Students register for approved classes online through MyUW.
  • Questions should be directed to our Graduate Program Advisors at or 206-685-7402.

Non-Matriculated Graduate Students

Non-matriculated (NM) status is an undergraduate status and students in this status do not earn graduate credit, even if the courses they take are at the graduate level. Credits earned in this status can apply to an undergraduate degree if the student later becomes matriculated or may be used in preparation for graduate school. The credits can never be counted as graduate credit at the University of Washington, even if the student later becomes a graduate student.

Students do not need to apply for Non-matriculated (NM) status. Registration occurs through UW Professional & Continuing Education (UW PCE) and there are separate instructions for registration during Summer quarter. More information is located on the Non-matriculated Students section of the UW PCE website.

In the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences:

  • Non-Matriculated (NM) course registration is available for both undergraduate and graduate level courses.
  • Approval for NM course registration is on a case-by-case basis and students may only have access to certain courses. Students are unable to register for any graduate level clinical courses or clinical practica as a NM student. 

Non Matriculated Registration procedures for Undergraduate Courses

The department offers both state (undergrad major) and fee-based (Postbaccaluareate) courses at the undergraduate level. There are different forms and procedures depending on the type of course. Forms and questions should be directed to our Undergraduate Advisor at or 206-685-7403. 

Registration Procedures for Graduate Courses

The department offers both state and fee-based courses at the graduate level. However, NM students are only able to take state courses and they cannot register for clinical courses/practica. Forms and questions should be directed to our Graduate Program Advisors at or 206-685-7402.

  • Review the online SPHSC course catalog to identify the graduate course(s) you wish to take, noting any prerequisites.
  • Submit an application to the UW Department of Speech of Hearing Sciences that includes:
    1. Statement of interest describing why you wish to take the course(s) and how it will further your academic or career goals 
    2. Two letters of recommendation
    3. Current transcript of graduate and undergraduate coursework (unofficial is acceptable)    
  • If approved by the SPHSC department:
    1.   Read the NM website
    2.   Complete the NM Registration Approval Form
    3.   Complete the NM Registration Form
    4. Collect signatures from the department
    5. Submit forms and payment to UW PCE